Benefits & Features
- Promotes gut cell function
- Supports intestinal health and mucosal barrier function
- Unique SunButyrate™ , butyrate-rich triglyceride oil, prevents breakdown in the upper G.I. tract and delivers butyrate directly to the intestine
- Promotes cytokine balance in the G.I. tract, bowel motility, and abdominal comfort
- Delivers 875 mg butyric acid per serving
- Great-tasting blueberry vanilla flavor
- Excipient free
- Part of the PureGI™ product line
- Made with high-quality vegetarian ingredients backed by verifiable science
- Ages 18 and up
- Gastrointestinal health and function
As a dietary supplement, take 1 teaspoon, 1-3 times daily, with meals.
Science & Research
Butyrate is one of the three most abundant shortchain fatty acids (SCFAs) produced by anaerobic bacterial fermentation of polysaccharides/fiber in the colon, where it serves as an energy source for epithelial cells.1 Butyrate plays a major role in intestinal physiology, supporting both physical and biochemical protective barrier function, bowel motility, nutrient absorption, and immune activity of intestinal cells.2 It also promotes the proliferation, differentiation and renewal process of the colonocytes. Research suggests that SCFAs produced by intestinal bacteria activate key players in the regulation of energy metabolism in the gut as well as regulate healthy gene expression for mucin production, supporting tight-junction assembly, healthy mucous production, and a healthy intestinal barrier.3 In a four-week study comparing a standard low fiber Western diet to a high-fiber diet with high levels of resistant starch from potato and wheat bran concentrated in the hemicellulose fiber arabinoxylan, levels of butyrate, acetate and other SCFAs significantly increased, as did epithelial mucin 2 (MUC2) and the tight junction protein occludin.4 Research suggests increased efficacy of oral sodium butyrate and mesalazine treatment compared to oral mesalazine alone in ulcerative colitis.5 SCFAs also help protect epithelial cells by modulating oxidative stress and immune mediators, including prostaglandins; cytokines such as TNF-a, IL-6, IL-10; and the transcription factor NF-κB. Clinical trials indicate that butyrate supplementation supports intestinal function and promotes healthy cytokine balance in the G.I. tract.6 In a 30-day trial involving 50 subjects, 1g butyrate promoted healthy G.I. motility, abdominal comfort, and reduced bloating in 68% of subjects.7 Preliminary research suggests SCFAs could also offer support for blood vessel and blood-brain barrier integrity, as well as relaxation and satiety.8 Animal studies suggest that SCFA supplementation may moderate corticosterone response and promote the secretion of peptide YY, to inhibit gastric emptying and intestinal transit time.9 As butyrate is typically produced in the colon, oral butyrate salts have poor palatability and are easily degraded by stomach acid, preventing delivery to the colon. Novel triglyceride-form SunButyrate™ offers a light and pleasant tasting, unique triglyceride-form sunflower-based oil designed to protect butyrate from degradation in the stomach and upper G.I. tract. Studies in simulated G.I. models indicate 6-8% breakdown in the stomach compared to 70% for other forms. Butyrate is released from the triglyceride by lipases in the small intestine.
- Canani RB, et. al. World J Gastroenterol. 2011 Mar 28;17(12):1519-28.
- Krokowicz L, et. al. Int J Colorectal Dis. 2014 Mar;29(3):387-93.
- Cushing K, et. al. Clin Transl Gastroenterol. 2015 Aug 27;6:e108
- Hald S, et al. PLoS One. 2016 Jul 19;11(7):e0159223.
- Vernia P, et al. Dig Dis Sci. 2000 May;45(5):976- 81.
- Hammer HM, et. al.Clin Nutr. 2009 Feb;28(1):88-93.
- Scarpellini E, et al. Digestive and Liver Disease Supplements 1 (2017): 19-22.
- Miller SJ, et. al. Nutrition. 2005 Jun;21(6):740-8.
- Longo WE, et. al. Scand J Gastroenterol. 1991 Apr;26(4):442-8.
If you are pregnant or lactating, have any health condition or are taking any medication, consult your health professional before use.
Store in a cool, dry place.
- SunButyrate is developed in a unique manufacturing process that combines tributyrin (naturally found in butter, but commercially prepared for SunButyrate from a proprietary synthetic source) and triolein (from high oleic sunflower oil)
56 servings per container
Net weight 280 ml
Order code BTGL
Bottle size 300 ml