Benefits & Features
- Enhances Bifidobacterium and healthy gut microflora with a blend of XOS prebiotic and cranberry extract
- Promotes gut barrier function
- Supports colonocyte health and cytokine balance
- Provides 1.4 g of clinically researched XOS per serving
- Includes concentrated cranberry extract standardized to contain 1% proanthocyanidins (PACs)
- Shelf-stable prebiotic support
- Ages 18 and up
As a dietary supplement, take 3 capsules, 1-2 times daily, with or between meals.
Science & Research
Prebiotics are nondigestible components of food that act to modulate and support the gut microbiota. Emerging evidence suggests that prebiotics may play an even more significant role than probiotics, serving metabolic, trophic and protective functions within the gut.1,3 PreticX™ XOS (xylo-oligosaccharides) enhances the growth of Bifidobacteria, an important intestinal bacterial genus that maintains healthy gastrointestinal function.2-6 Clinical research also shows that XOS enhances the production of butyrate, a short chain fatty acid (SCFA) that serves as a major energy source for colonocytes.3,4,8 In preclinical models, XOS supports intestinal barrier function, cytokine balance and colon cell health.3 In a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study, 32 healthy adult subjects were given 1.4 grams or 2.8 grams of PreticX™ XOS for 8 weeks. The Bifidobacterium count increased 21% from the baseline at 4 weeks and 17% from the baseline at 8 weeks in the highest dose group.4 In an in vitro study using clinical isolates from hospital patients, XOS was found to stimulate growth of all 35 Bifidobacterium strains in a dose-dependent manner. XOS also supported growth of 38%-62% of Lactobacilli strains tested.5 Evidence from a small clinical trial of 14 healthy women additionally suggests that XOS supports bowel regularity and emotional well-being. In contrast to FOS and other common prebiotics, studies on XOS and report very low incidence of gas and bloating.2,4,9 This formula also provides cranberry, which favorably modulates intestinal microbiota in preclinical models, supporting the abundance of beneficial taxa such as Bifidobacteria and Bacteroidaceae.7,10
- Simon E, Călinoiu LF, Mitrea L, Vodnar DC. Nutrients. 2021 Jun 20;13(6):2112.
- Childs CE, Röytiö H, Alhoniemi E, et al. Br J Nutr. 2014 Jun 14;111(11):1945-56.
- Pham VT, Calatayud M, Rotsaert C, et al. Nutrients. 2021 Mar 29;13(4):1125.
- Finegold SM, Li Z, Summanen PH, Downes J, et al. Food Funct. 2014 Mar;5(3):436-45.
- Zhaoping L, et al. Int J Food Sci Nutr. 2015;66(8):919-22.
- Na MH, et al. Korean J Nutr. 2007 Mar;40(2):154-161.
- O'Connor K, et al. PLoS One. 2019 Nov 12;14(11):e0224836.
- Fei Y, Wang Y, Pang Y, et al. Front Physiol. 2020 Jan 22;10:1601.
- Yang J, Summanen PH, Henning SM, et al. Front Physiol. 2015 Aug 7;6:216.
- Cai X , Han Y, Gu M, et al. Food Funct. 2019 Oct 16;10(10):6331-6341.
If you are pregnant or lactating, have any health condition or are taking any medication, consult your health professional before use.
Store in a cool, dry place.
- XOS is derived from corn cob
- Cranberry extract is derived from Vaccinium macrocarpon fruit and standardized to contain 1% proanthocyanidins